Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Joys of FACS

One of the really wonderful things about my major, is that there are absolutely no boys in it. (did you hear that hint of sarcasm?)  Really though. Family and Consumer Science Education, or as some like to call it, Home Ec, is not something that really appeals to the male population. I mean cooking, sewing, and interior design are fun and all, but for some reason men just don't major in them.
Here's the funny thing. It's like we're training to become the perfect wife and mother, but we don't meet any boys in our major classes to marry. Yeah that's what our wards are for, but I've never really had much luck with the boys in my wards.
So in my Food Science class, they hold a special section for the FACS majors, because we don't have organic chemistry background. They basically dumb it down for us. Well, several other students who aren't FACS majors (who happen to be male) were signed up for our section, and every time one walked in our class, our teacher would send them away to the other section. Sigh.
And in my Parenting and Child Guidance class, of the 5 boys in it, 3 of them are married and the other two are in a relationship. Same story goes for the rest of my classes. But - there is cute boy in my Food Science lab group. The lab has students from all the sections, so there are several boys in the class. Gasp!

But whatever. It's not like I'm here at BYU to married or anything. You know, there's that whole education part. That's important too. And I'll just ignore the fact that all my friends/acquaintances are married or engaged. Or going on missions. I get news of a new engagement every time I get on Facebook (that may be an exaggeration.)
But ignore my ranting. It's not all I think about I promise. I think about other things...like going back to Jerusalem, or Ireland. Or anywhere. Did you realize it's been a whole year since I left for Jerusalem? It's hard to believe that time has moved so fast. My guy friends are starting to get home from their missions. My girl friends are leaving for theirs. I never thought this day would come. Or at least...it seemed like it would take longer to get here.
Well, it will be a good semester. And, I get to look forward to visiting my sisters and brother in-law over President's Day weekend! And we don't have school this Monday! woohoo!!

Here are some of my cute roommates and I at Cocoa Bean! Nicolle came to visit :)




4 comments:

  1. Emmy, you are so pretty and talented! it's ok to mourn the lack of men in your major. i had the opposite with my major for all the good it did me. yet hope remains while company is true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soooo cool in so many ways! Lucky is anyone who gets to spend time with you! Enjoy your time at BYU...I envy those food labs. I loved 'em as a student years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my life isn't so exciting or things aren't going great, I think about traveling too. :) Ireland, yes; Jerusalem, not as much. Maybe if I'd been there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur with all of the above, especially Sarah's LOTR quote. Love you.

    ReplyDelete